Re: How to write Armenian ligatures?

From: John H. Jenkins (jenkins@apple.com)
Date: Sat Nov 24 2007 - 16:31:30 CST

    On Nov 23, 2007, at 3:35 PM, James Kass wrote:

    > Hmmm. The normal behavior of Latin text is that ligatures won't be
    > formed in plain text applications. The same is probably true for
    > Armenian. That leaves only ZWJs, presentation forms, or discarding
    > ligature information from plain text altogether.

    I can't speak for other platforms, but on Mac OS X, the normal
    behavior for Latin text is that plain text uses whatever ligatures the
    font has on by default.

    I, at least, would argue that ligation controls don't (as a rule)
    belong in plain text, since ligation is intimately bound with the
    typographic needs of a specific font.

    =====
    John H. Jenkins
    jenkins@apple.com