Re: New Public Review Issue: #108 Ideographic Variation Database Submission

From: suzuki toshiya (mpsuzuki@hiroshima-u.ac.jp)
Date: Sun Nov 25 2007 - 02:56:00 CST

    Dear Sirs,

    Although I sent my comment for PRI #108 via web reporting form,
    here I send CC for anybody interested in.

    Still I wish if I the base characters of Adobe-Japan1 IVS
    were restricted to the sum of JIS character sets, but my
    comment about it is completely same with my previous comment,
    and I omit it.

    Regards,
    mpsuzuki

    According to Adobe TechNote #5078 p. 96 clause #9,
    the glyph for the variation sequence VS19-12869
    used for U+6CE8 (partial chart p. 11) is a glyph
    introduced for "ruby" typesetting, not for standard
    CJK ideograph. In plain text of Unicode, the ruby
    may be coded by the interlinear annotations (U+FFF9
    - U+FFFB), so the relationship between using
    VS19-12869 and using interlinear annotations should
    be clarified: VS19-12869 should be used with or
    without the interlinear annotations?

    In addition, as I commented for PRI #98, many glyphs
    introduced for radical exemplifications are assigned
    variation sequences as the ideograph variant.
    I guess the variation sequences for these glyphs are
    NOT intended to be unique character encoding for these
    glyphs, it just provides the variation sequences from
    the side of Unified CJK ideographs.
    If my guess is right, is there any reason to ignore
    the ideographic glyphs in Adobe TechNote #5078
    p. 160 from 16285 to 16298? Adobe TechNote #5078
    does not comment explicitly, I guess these glyphs
    are introduced for Kanbun (U+3190-U+319F).