Unicode 5.1, Egyptian Transliteration, and Fonts

From: Saqqara (saqqara@saqqara.org)
Date: Fri Nov 30 2007 - 12:26:39 CST

    A reminder. Unicode 5.1 is bringing Egyptian Transliteration characters
    LATIN CAPITAL LETTER EGYPTOLOGICAL ALEF, LATIN SMALL LETTER EGYPTOLOGICAL
    ALEF, LATIN CAPITAL LETTER EGYPTOLOGICAL AIN and LATIN SMALL LETTER
    EGYPTOLOGICAL AIN. The EGYPTOLOGICAL YOD is still an unresolved point but
    nevertheless the new characters allow for a useable system.

    Some examples of transliterations (using 5.1 codes) can be found at my new
    EGPZ Word List project (www.egpz.com/resources/egpz_wordlist.htm) - I expect
    to have 20,000 words, or thereabouts, with transliterations online in
    December (hieroglyphs will take somewhat longer).

    I am interested in hearing of fonts that aim to support these new characters
    for 5.1 (and the handful of other characters used for transliteration). I
    would like to list these on www.egpz.com <http://www.egpz.com/> .

    Thanks

    Bob Richmond

    www.saqqara.org <http://www.saqqara.org/>