Re: Unicode 5.1, Egyptian Transliteration, and Fonts

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Fri Nov 30 2007 - 15:48:54 CST

    At 18:26 +0000 2007-11-30, Saqqara wrote:
    >A reminder. Unicode 5.1 is bringing Egyptian Transliteration
    >characters LATIN CAPITAL LETTER EGYPTOLOGICAL ALEF, LATIN SMALL
    >LETTER EGYPTOLOGICAL ALEF, LATIN CAPITAL LETTER EGYPTOLOGICAL AIN
    >and LATIN SMALL LETTER EGYPTOLOGICAL AIN. The EGYPTOLOGICAL YOD is
    >still an unresolved point but nevertheless the new characters allow
    >for a useable system.

    The mark on the Egyptological Yod is ultimately a Greek spiritus lenis.

    Here is my recommendation:

    1. Spiritus lenis in Greek is U+0313 COMBINING COMMA ABOVE. In Greek,
    what this character does is sit atop a lowercase letter, and is
    preposed before uppercase letters. See U+1F00 and U+1F08.

    2. U+0313 cannot be used for the Egyptological Yod because its case
    behaviour in Greek does not apply to Latin or Cyrillic. In Latin and
    Cyrillic, U+0313 sits atop both uppercase and lowercase letters. This
    happens in natural orthographies for minority languages.

    3. Spiritus lenis in Cyrillic is U+0486 COMBINING CYRILLIC PSILI
    PNEUMATA. In Cyrillic, this sits atop both uppercase and lowercase
    letters. But in Latin, it could sit atop a lowercase letter, and be
    preposed before uppercase letters. It could be used with I for
    Egyptian and A and U for Ugaritic transcription.

    4. If the Cyrillic diacritic can't be used, we will need to encode a
    Latin Spiritus Lenis. Or explicit LATIN LETTER EGYPTOLOGICAL YOD,
    LATIN LETTER SEMITIC ALEF, and LATIN LETTER SEMITIC WAW.

    5. If this is accepted, I would add an annotation to U+0486.

            * used with Latin a, i, u in Semitic studies and Egyptology

    I hope this is acceptable to everyone.