RE: Vai word boundaries and line breaking

From: Peter Constable (petercon@microsoft.com)
Date: Fri Nov 30 2007 - 18:15:37 CST

    > From: Michael Everson [mailto:everson@evertype.com]

    > Modern Vai always uses spaces between words. As in the Bible I have
    > here. Manuscript Vai is less scrupulous about this, but the Right
    > Thing To Do is treat the syllables like Cherokee syllables... that
    > is, like Latin letters.

    OK; that's helpful.

    > >L2/05-159R has a section on line breaking that indicates that line
    > >breaks are not permitted before SYLLABLE LENGTHENER or before NG.
    > >Looking at the beta UCD files, though, it appears that NG (A60B) has
    > >the same line breaking property as regular syllables (AL); it's not
    > >clear to me if that's intended or not.
    >
    > That is Ken's bailiwick I guess.

    Well, I think Ken is dependent, like me, on the script experts out there spec'ing the desired behaviour.

    > >The LENGTHENER (A60C) has linebreak = EX, as does FULL STOP (A60E);
    > >this strongly blocks break before. COMMA (060D) and QUESTION MARK
    > >(A60F) have linebreak = BA, which less-strongly blocks break before.
    > >(EX allows preceding break only after hard line break or ZWSP; BA
    > >also allows a preceding break after spaces (SP) or FFFC).
    >
    > I can't say I know how to evaluate this.

    Consider this an invitation for any of the people that were involved in the Vai proposal or with any with a connection to the primary user community, to review the Unicode 5.1 beta UCD files and provide feedback as needed.

    Peter