Re: Directionality Standard

From: Behnam (behnam.rassi@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Dec 18 2007 - 03:42:11 CST

    Yes indeed. My mistake. I'm not much into the technical side of this
    issue. I'm a simple user.
    But clearly, a simple right click and assigning rtl directionality
    for typing a paragraph (or any action of that nature) is no guarantee
    for that paragraph to go anywhere with its directionality intact. And
    this is what I put forward for Unicode to address.
    Let me tell you what triggered this thread.
    We have a Persian site with news and discussion forum. It provides
    RSS feed. But RSS readers were displaying the content in ltr format
    and totally unusable. The person who is more technical and takes care
    of this site finally found this
    http://blogs.msdn.com/rssteam/archive/2007/05/17/reading-feeds-in-
    right-to-left-order.aspx
    and implemented language tag 'fa' to our site and our problem with
    RSS reader in IE7 was resolved. But the problem in Safari of Mac
    remains. I suppose if Safari implements the recognition of those
    tags, the problem would be resolved with Safari also because
    otherwise it is a perfectly Unicode compliant application. But I am
    puzzled why a directionality issue should be resolved by a language
    tag in the first place, and if this is not a Unicode issue, how much
    longer and how many times, are we supposed to address these problems
    and solve them, using made-up solutions, one device at a time?
    To me, this is a Unicode issue because I type an rtl paragraph and I
    expect it to remain rtl, anywhere it goes.

    Behnam