Re: Latin J capital letter with caron

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Wed Jan 16 2008 - 15:52:10 CST

    On 1/16/2008 1:11 PM, Kenneth Whistler wrote:
    > Asmus,

    Ken,
    > And the J-hacek glyph shown in the charts of ISO 9 is clearly
    > the uppercase Latin J with the hacek centered firmly
    > *above* the J, just like the various circumflexes
    > used in that system also are.

    All I see on that page is J followed by a box. ;-)

    I don't think that page uses glyphs - it seems to be using characters, or
    character sequences.
    > Furthermore, I second what Adam Twardoch said about
    > the use of the rightside comma as an alternative
    > rendering of hacek for capital letters being a local
    > Czech and Slovak tradition. j-hacek is rather widely
    > used in the Americanist orthographic systems for
    > North American languages (and others). See:
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americanist_phonetic_notation
    >
    > And I can assure you that.. any j-hacek that is
    > capitalized would most certainly simply use a capital
    > J with a hacek above, and would never, ever, ever use
    > a right corner comma, since the right corner comma
    > in the Americanist orthographic systems is a completely
    > different diacritic, indicating ejective release
    > (or glottal coarticulation, in the case of resonants),
    > rather than alveopalatal articulation.
    That's a nice and definite statement - perhaps you'll suggest this to the
    person editing the Unicode chapter on combining marks :-)
    Seriously, improving the delineation of hacek in specific from caron in
    general is worthwhile.
    > You can
    > see the distinction in the chart cited above (although
    > the rendering isn't very good) -- where you can find
    > the raised commas in the rows labeled "glottalized"
    > or "ejective".
    >
    > Somewhat cleaner rendering visible in:
    >
    > http://www.ing.ohio-state.edu/~odden/IntroducingPhonology/APA%20Symbol%20Guide.p
    > df

    Can't access the domain for some reason. Too bad.
    > I can't just off the bat find you running text in a
    > language using j-hacek where the author uses capital
    > letters, but for darn tootin', when such text shows up,
    > it won't be displayed with Czech/Slovak conventions
    > for the hacek.

    So you say. ;-)

    (Actually, I do believe you, but I couldn't resist...).

    A./