Re: "French+" support by Unicode

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@roadrunner.com)
Date: Sat Apr 12 2008 - 00:43:38 CDT

    Marion Gunn <mgunn at egt dot ie> wrote:

    > Thank you for that comprehensive explication, Kenneth, which amounts
    > to saying, if I understand you correctly, that it would have been more
    > correct for me to say "ISO/IEC 10646 is an international standard
    > published in at least two independent languages, but the corresponding
    > Unicode standard is a commercial standard published only in US
    > (Anglo-American) English", (which, I trust, better answers the query
    > someone else raised concerning bilingualism in the matter of
    > publishing standards).

    I don't think it amounts to that at all.

    Marion's second version corrects the error of projecting the
    bilingualism of ISO/IEC 10646 onto all ISO standards, but does nothing
    to address the misleading pseudo-contrast between "international
    standard" and "commercial standard" -- as though a standard promulgated
    by an industry consortium cannot be international in nature.

    Additionally, if it is really necessary to point out that the Unicode
    Standard is written in "US (Anglo-American) English," I don't see why
    the shorter but equivalent term "US English" wouldn't be preferable.

    --
    Doug Ewell  *  Arvada, Colorado, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN #14
    http://www.ewellic.org