Zhuang tones three and four

From: Benjamin M Scarborough (benjamin.scarborough@student.utdallas.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 29 2008 - 12:19:59 CDT

    It seems odd to me that the Latin letters for tones three and four in
    the 1957 Zhuang orthography are still unified with CYRILLIC LETTER ZE
    and CYRILLIC LETTER CHE. I believe there is enough evidence for
    disunification.

    1. In Unicode 5.1, CYRILLIC LETTER QA and CYRILLIC LETTER WE were
    disunified from LATIN LETTER Q and LATIN LETTER W, so there's a recent
    precedent.

    2. The five 1957 Zhuang tone letters were meant as modified versions of
    the digits 2 through 6, but ZE and CHE were derived from other sources
    alongside the rest of the Cyrillic alphabet.

    3. With the exception of Zhuang, ZE and CHE represent [z] and [tʃ] (or
    some near variant of those). In Zhuang, they're used for tones ([˥] and
    [˦˨] respectively), indicating that ZE and CHE were not chosen for
    their existing use, but for their resemblance to 3 and 4.

    Based on this, I believe a case can be made to disunify LATIN LETTER
    TONE THREE and LATIN LETTER TONE FOUR from CYRILLIC LETTER ZE and
    CYRILLIC LETTER CHE.

    --Ben Scarborough