Exemplifying apostrophes

From: Jonathan Pool (pool@utilika.org)
Date: Thu May 15 2008 - 23:26:58 CDT

    I’m working on normalizing entries in over 1,000 languages in a lexical
    database. One of the tasks I’m finding most difficult is normalizing
    apostrophe-like characters. I was hoping to use documents at the Unicode Web
    site, including translations of “What is Unicode” and of UDHR, as guides for
    some languages, but many of the documents seem to contain U+0027 APOSTROPHE
    where my reading of the standard says other characters are preferred. I’m
    curious about the reason.