Re: Exemplifying apostrophes

From: Jim Allan (jallanite@rogers.com)
Date: Tue May 20 2008 - 22:23:31 CDT

    Kenneth Whistler wrote:
    > Jim,
    >
    >> I did not mean that they were necessarily "combining marks", because they
    >> are effectively spacing, ... But they may still be considered as
    >> combining marks, because ...
    >
    > Arguing with Philippe on the list can be frustrating. He tends
    > to make it up as he goes along. ;-)

    Yes. His declaration that ʾaleph and ʿayin are not pronounceable in
    isolation is amazing. ʾAleph is as pronounceable in isolation as any
    voiceless plosive, that is, hardly at all; but one doesn’t claim that p,
    t, and k are therefore not full letters. And ʿayin is as pronounceable
    in isolation as any other fricative.

    Jim Allan