Re: Last resort font

From: John H. Jenkins (jenkins@apple.com)
Date: Thu Jun 12 2008 - 10:54:37 CDT

    The version on the Unicode site is a modification of the version
    shipping with Mac OS X 10.5 ("Leopard"). It cannot be used to replace
    the Last Resort font shipping on pre-Leopard versions of Mac OS X 10.5.

    We exclude the LR font from font menus because it is intended *solely*
    as a font of last resort, that is, a font to be used only if no other
    installed font can display a particular character. Remember, it can't
    really be used for running text, since every defined character in a
    given Unicode block has the same glyph. It isn't a pan-Unicode font
    in the usual sense.

    Unfortunately, I don't know for sure why the version on the Unicode
    site won't install on Tiger; I can only guess. If you really, really
    want it, you can file a bug with Apple (or I can do it for you), but I
    wouldn't hold my breath. So far as Apple is concerned, you've already
    got a working version of the font installed with your system and
    should have no need to install a second copy.