Re: wikipedia unicode font.

From: John H. Jenkins (jenkins@apple.com)
Date: Mon Jul 07 2008 - 12:42:59 CDT

    On Jul 4, 2008, at 7:11 PM, Ngwe Tun wrote:

    > :) I'm not Unicode Member yet. That's why I'm asking here. If
    > Unicode Consoritum will decide Fonts in internal meeting, I will be
    > the part of Unicode Member. I will pay for Unicode Members Fees.

    I assume by "decide Fonts" you mean "approve fonts." If so, the
    answer is no. The Unicode Technical Committee does not approve or
    disapprove fonts. In general, the UTC does not deal with issues
    concerning fonts beyond Unicode's own need to print the standard, and
    you don't need a Burmese font with correct layout to print the Burmese
    code chart.

    Speaking from the Mac side, by the way, there are third-party fonts
    out there with the appropriate support for Burmese on Mac OS X.
    Inasmuch as we don't support OpenType for complex layout (in general),
    a font that works on Vista for Burmese will not work on Mac OS X
    without additional work. If SIL or anybody else would like to create
    a cross-platform Burmese font, they can download Apple's font tools
    from <http://deverloper.apple.com/textfonts/> and contact me, if
    needed, for help in getting it to work properly. (Alternatively,
    since Padauk is available under the Open Font License, it may make
    sense for someone fluent in AAT support to produce a modified version
    of the font and send it back to Martin for distribution.)

    =====
    John H. Jenkins
    jenkins@apple.com