Re: Boustrophedon (was: Re: Question about the directionality of "Old Hungarian" (document N3531))

From: philip chastney (philip_chastney@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Nov 05 2008 - 16:13:33 CST

    --- On Tue, 4/11/08, Doug Ewell <doug@ewellic.org> wrote:
    From: Doug Ewell <doug@ewellic.org>
    Subject: Boustrophedon (was: Re: Question about the directionality of "Old Hungarian" (document N3531))
    Date: Tuesday, 4 November, 2008, 2:07 PM

    Q: Why is this thread like boustrophedon itself?
    A: Because it goes in two different directions.

    It would be really neato if we could split the "principles of
    boustrophedon" discussion off into a separate thread, called, oh, I
    don't know, maybe "Re: Boustrophedon", and leave the present
    Subject line for discussions that really do have to do with
     Old/Szekler
    Hungarian.

    fair enough  ---  may I start with a query?

    p218 of 'Reading the Past' (British Museum Press, 1990) says, "Some
    early Greek and South Arabian texts were written boustrophedon [...].
    In such inscriptions the letters are often reversed to face the
    direction of writing."

    that's "often", not "always"

    unfortunately, the illustrations provided all show mirrored lettering

    so, are there any examples of boustrophedon writing where the letters are NOT mirrored?

    /phil