RE: Boustrophedon

From: Hohberger, Clive (CHohberger@zebra.com)
Date: Fri Nov 07 2008 - 16:22:19 CST

    Phil Chastney wrote on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 4:14 PM

    so, are there any examples of boustrophedon writing where the letters
    are NOT mirrored?

    /phil

    Phil,

    I'm only aware of hieroglyphic languages that were written
    boustrophredonically without mirror imaged characters. Unlike Egyptian
    hierogrlyphs which were written in the same direction in in parallel
    rows or column the lines of Luwian hieroglyphs are written alternately
    left-to-right and right-to-left. This practice was called by the Greeks
    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Greek> boustrophedon
    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boustrophedon> , meaning "as the ox turns"
    (as when plowing a field).

    I am told that occaisionally ancient Chinese was written
    boustrophredonically, if I understood what I saw at the National Museum
    in Taipei, but I'm sure others know better than I.

    Maya script (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maya_script
    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maya_script> ) was written
    boustrophredonically, usually written in blocks arranged in columns two
    blocks wide, read as follows:

    Regards,
    Clive

    Clive P. Hohberger, PhD