Emoji & compatibility characters

From: Christopher Fynn (chris.fynn@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Jan 04 2009 - 22:00:19 CST

    Asmus Freytag wrote:

    > As I've explained here several times, I regard the notion that
    > compatibility characters can strictly remain reserved for pre-existing
    > character sets as removed from the real constraints on developing a
    > universal character set. (see my previous posts).

    Leaving aside the fact that many of the emoji go way beyond what most
    people would reasonably consider to be part of plain text, removing
    the "pre-existing character set" limitation seems to open the door to
    any entity, large or influential enough to create or establish a
    de-facto or official "standard" of some sort, to eventually get the
    characters in such a set encoded as compatibility characters.

    Is Unicode sure it wants to go down this road?

    - Chris

    more emoji fun:- "create your own virtual pet":
    <http://www.mojikan.com/Default.aspx>