Re: Emoji: emoticons vs. literacy

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Wed Jan 07 2009 - 22:50:53 CST

    On 1/7/2009 8:19 PM, Phillips, Addison wrote:
    > It is useful to say (sometimes, not always) "+1" when one emphatically agrees with something on a topic where general agreement would be desirable... as a means of showing support.
    >
    > Composing original replies may ...

    ... not always have the same effect.

    Instead of supporting a particular argument, it introduces a new
    argument into the discussion, increasing the chance that the discussion
    can now derail (or be derailed) based on small differences in the
    wording of two equivalent arguments.

    There's a time for advancing a separate argument, and there's a time for
    emphasizing something that has been said already. I can tell the
    difference, it's not that hard.

    In any case, the technique of blowing up any discussion by latching onto
    an off-topic meta-discussion about style is also a well-known, tried and
    true technique. Because of that, having explained my reason for using
    "agreement" instead of "original argument" I will not be part of any
    further digression.

    A./

    PS: replies to this, off-list please.