Re: Emoji: emoticons vs. literacy

From: Adam Twardoch (list.adam@twardoch.com)
Date: Fri Jan 09 2009 - 02:25:49 CST

    I think emoji is the new punctuation.

    At some point there were no punctuation characters. So written text were
    just "words". I can imagine that some people opposed the idea of adding
    dots and commas and dashes, because they were "silent" marks that did
    not so much influence the contents of the text but more its form (at
    least that may have been the thinking).

    Today, people feel like they want more punctuation, because the written
    communication needs to be more compact, and there are some common codes
    in writing that convey certain meaning, and emoji are part of it.

    They are multi-colored? So what. The practice of putting red vowel marks
    over black Arabic writing has existed for centuries. They're animated?
    So what, the technology permits it.

    A.

    --
    Adam Twardoch
    | Language Typography Unicode Fonts OpenType
    | twardoch.com | silesian.com | fontlab.net
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or
    insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    (Hunter S. Thompson)