Re: Emoji: emoticons vs. literacy

From: Adam Twardoch (list.adam@twardoch.com)
Date: Fri Jan 09 2009 - 06:15:44 CST

    John Hudson wrote:
    > to encode emoji and similar non-text content

    I'm sorry, but I fail to see how emoji is non-text. To me, emoji are
    very much text -- as I wrote before, they're the new, vastly extended
    set of punctuation characters.

    The exclamation sign and the question mark (in various combinations)
    convey information about the tonality and other non-verbal aspects of
    speech recorded in writing. They've been a simple convention used in
    long continuous texts such as those produced in the Middle Ages.

    But today, I don't see any difference between "--", ":)" and ":P" --
    they are all imperfect ASCII representations of more elaborate signs.
    "--" stands for "—", ":)" stands for "☺" and the proper representation
    of ":P" is not yet encoded.

    Emoji are not non-text signs, they are non-verbal signs, just like the
    traditional punctuation signs. I see no reason why they should not be
    encoded.

    A.

    --
    Adam Twardoch
    | Language Typography Unicode Fonts OpenType
    | twardoch.com | silesian.com | fontlab.net
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or
    insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    (Hunter S. Thompson)