Re: Braille, CJK and unicode

From: Samuel Thibault (samuel.thibault@ens-lyon.org)
Date: Sun Feb 01 2009 - 09:18:13 CST

    Christoph Burgmer, le Sun 01 Feb 2009 23:16:03 +0800, a écrit :
    > Am Sunday, 1. February 2009 schrieb Samuel Thibault:
    > > Samuel Thibault, le Sat 31 Jan 2009 22:25:00 +0100, a écrit :
    > > > I have noticed that unicode.org provides a Unihan database which
    > > > includes information for such CJK characters, for instance for U+9000
    > > > there is notably an english description:
    > > >
    > > > U+9000 kDefinition step back, retreat, withdraw
    > > >
    > > > However, that didn't completely fulfilled our needs: e.g. blind chinese
    > > > people who do not know english will not be able to understand the
    > > > english description,
    > >
    > > Talking a bit more with the user requesting the feature, he says that
    > > the english description is precisely what he would like, except that
    > > he'd want it in chinese. So my requests could be summed up as "are
    > > there translated versions of unihan?"
    >

    > Why do you want to reinvent the wheel?

    I don't, thanks.

    I'm looking for something to fulfill my user's needs, and do not know
    what exists, so I'm just suggesting the kind of things I'm looking for.

    > Chinese already has a way of describing characters in speach. Either
    > they come with a distinct string as 白勺的 (白+勺= 的) or in
    > the generic form 力量的力 ("li from liliang=power/strength").

    You mean these are unambiguous even when just spoken?

    > So you just take a free dictionary, look for a frequent
    > multi-character entry without ambiguity and use that.

    Right, that's the kind of thing I'm looking for.

    > Take care of "multiply encoded characters" though.

    What do you mean by that?

    > But only if you want to read out "non-Chinese" chars.

    These would be useful too indeed.

    Samuel