Re: Byzantine ekpohonetic neumes: any free font?

From: Petr Tomasek (tomasek@etf.cuni.cz)
Date: Sun Mar 22 2009 - 03:12:06 CST

    On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 04:26:45PM -0700, Rick McGowan wrote:
    > Petr,
    > >Actually I wonder, are the ekphonetic neumes encoded as standalone
    > >characters? Shouldn't they be more like a diacritics
    > >

    > See also: http://www.unicode.org/notes/tn20/
    > and the block intro in chapter 15.12 in TUS 5.0. Presumably you've read
    > those.
    >
    > Rick

    I have re-read both texts several time, but I still don't understand
    why are ekphonetic neumes of "Symbol, Other" [So] category, while
    hebrew "accents" are "Mark, Nonspacing" [Mn] even if both are used
    exactly the same way.

    Please, note that the ekphonetic neumes are NOT "musical symbols" like
    the western are, they are bound to the text and CANNOT occur without
    the text...

    Petr Tomasek

    --
    Petr Tomasek <http://www.etf.cuni.cz/~tomasek>