RE: Fonts in Browsers was RE: Pb with Unicode Tifinagh with Internet Explorer

From: Debbie Garside (debbie@ictmarketing.co.uk)
Date: Wed May 27 2009 - 10:13:02 CDT

    Hi Peter

    What I mean is, when using IE (or any browser for that matter) what
    determines the display font within the address bar (the address bar is where
    I type www.microsoft.com).

    Whilst I can see how to change the display of content, I cannot find
    anywhere to view or change the settings for the font in the address bar.

    I am therefore presuming that this is preset by the application developer
    (in this case Microsoft). If so, I wondered on what basis is the choice
    made for each language supported and is it standardized across developers
    (within something like CLDR) as recommended fonts.

    If so, it begs the question on the basis of what research (if any) was the
    selection of fonts made?

    Also, if there is no recommended standard font for each language is this
    something that could be added to CLDR?

    If I read you correctly, this is most likely based on the default font in
    the OS. In which case, where do I find a list of default fonts for each
    language/locale shipped by Microsoft? :-)

    Many thanks in anticipation for any info you may have.

    Debbie