Re: Another translation posted

From: satai (satai@kartulad.com)
Date: Thu Jun 18 2009 - 15:19:07 CDT

    I think the Google statistics show quite well that speakers prefer "az
    Unicode". And, saying frankly, I see at least one reason for that:

    We have a language with Latin script that borrows names in their original
    written form - that's typical. But let's try to predict what is the logic of
    selecting an article for, say, Urukaka name in Hungarian... I think it is
    clear that most hungarians who don't know how Urukaka should be pronounced,
    will use "az Urukaka" based on initial U-, without even thinking about
    possibilities of [w] or anything else. And that should be exactly the case
    of Unicode word - if there is no widely accepted pronunciation yet, most of
    people who are new to the subject should expect an article based on initial
    letter, not sound.

    This is rather a point of view and idea how to reach an agreement in this
    particular case and in similar cases in other languages.

    Best regards,
    Alex.