Re: Is Windows 7 Notepad broken?

From: Andrew West (andrewcwest@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Jun 23 2009 - 03:36:15 CDT

    2009/6/23 Christopher Fynn <cfynn@gmx.net>:

    > Are Phoenician and Egyptian Heiroglyphs supposed to be supported scripts on
    > Windows 7? The list of supported scripts and languages in Windows generally
    > lags considerably behind the current Unicode version. Why do you expect it
    > to work for characters from an *upcoming* version.

    Well, Notepad has always worked just fine with unsupported scripts
    from new or upcoming versions of Unicode, as long as they don't need
    any special support from Uniscribe, and Egyptian Hieroglyphs are not
    complex from a rendering point of view, so it should not matter
    whether they are "supported" in Windows 7 or not.

    > Notepad has code so that text in different scripts is gets displayed in the
    > default / system font for that script. If there is no default font for that
    > script what does it use?

    Well, I would have hoped that it would use the font that I configured
    it to use from the "Format > Font..." menu. If Bob configured Notepad
    to use his Unicode Hieroglyph font then I don't see any reason why it
    would not display Unicode 5.2 hieroglyphic text correctly.

    Andrew