Re: how to create automated meaning preserving abbreviations?

From: André Szabolcs Szelp (a.sz.szelp@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Jul 22 2009 - 17:48:20 CDT

    Hello,

    While your point might be valid in a number of cases, the very example you
    bring seems somewhat strained. Is it indeed the term you want to use in your
    UI? It would probably confuse your users more than not.
    "Nick(name)", as used in the web alias sense is never ever rendered as
    "Spitzname" in German. "Spitzname" is only used for the informal use of a
    name in real life, not "nicks" of the virtual world.
    Also, while not knowing your planned application, "nickname password" seems
    overspecified, as there will be seldom more than one password involved
    within one context/view of the app/UI, so "password" alone should suffice
    usually.

    -Sz