Re: [indic] Use of ZWJ to form Sinhala Conjuncts

From: Harshula (harshula@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Sep 03 2009 - 07:31:07 CDT

    Hi Vinodh,

    On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 4:55 AM, Vinodh Rajan <vinodh.vinodh@gmail.com> wrote:

    > I came across this in Sinhala Wikipedia ක‍්‍රිපූ. It was analyzed by Ishida's Uniview as below

    It should be ක්‍රිපූ (<ka> + <virama> + <ZWJ> + <ra> + ... )
    BTW, the sequence you have written does not map to the actual Unicode
    Sinhala string that you have included, but it conveys your point.

    This should definitely be ප්‍රමාණය (<pa> + <virama> + <ZWJ> + <ra> + ...)
    BTW, the sequence you have written does not map to the actual Unicode
    Sinhala string that you have included, but it conveys your point.

    > Are these two ZWJ's necessary to form these Conjuncts ?

    There appears to be an additional ZWJ that should not be there.

    > Infact, do the consonant-ra conjuncts [and consonant-ya conjuncts] ever require ZWJ at all ?

    Yes they do. There are three graphical forms for some consonant clusters:
    1) Separate letters (<C1><C2>)
    2) Conjuncts (<C1><VIRAMA><ZWJ><C2>)
    3) Touching letters (<C1><ZWJ><VIRAMA><C2>)

    If you are able to isolate the particular user(s) who are creating
    these invalid strings, then perhaps we can find out which input method
    (keyboard layout) they are using and get it resolved.

    cya,
    #