Re: Twitter started supporting emoji in Japan

From: John Burger (john@mitre.org)
Date: Mon Oct 19 2009 - 08:37:24 CDT

    Doug Ewell wrote:

    > Google's
    > internal codes will continue in use for some time, and once the
    > standardization process is complete, apps will now have the additional
    > burden of supporting each of the emoji at two code points, and
    > possibly
    > equating them in searches. This situation will not be improved by
    > pushing the standardization bodies to move faster.

    I presume there are some success stories for this process: Some
    character, or even better a script or other coherent collection of
    characters, is in use for some time in the PUA, and is then elevated
    by ISO/UTC to an officially blessed region in Unicode. Can someone
    relate such a story, or at least point to a current Unicode character/
    script that followed that path?

    Thanks!

    - John D. Burger
       MITRE