Re: Medievalist ligature character in the PUA

From: Andrew West (andrewcwest@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Dec 07 2009 - 09:16:02 CST

    2009/12/7 Doug Ewell <doug@ewellic.org>:

    > From TUS 5.0, Section 16.2 ("Layout Controls"), page 540:
    > "As with all other alternate format characters, fonts should use an
    > invisible zero-width glyph for representation of both ZWJ and ZWNJ."

    In this respect I think that the Unicode Standard is wrong, or at
    least out of date. It may have been a good idea to use an invisible
    zero-width space glyph ten years ago when there was little expectation
    that ZWJ or ZWNJ would work on most systems, but that is not the case
    today. I note that many fonts on my system, including quite a few
    fonts from Adobe and Microsoft, include a visible glyph for ZWJ, ZWNJ
    and other format characters, but at least on Windows operating systems
    the user will never see them under normal circumstances. But it is
    useful to have the visible glyphs in the font for things like
    character maps and for editors with a "View Hidden Characters" mode.

    Andrew