Re: Quick Question About Korean Input Methods

From: Ed Trager (ed.trager@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Jan 07 2010 - 19:27:05 CST

    Hi, Jeroen and everyone,

    In the Korean input method that I am implementing, I'm currently using
    semicolon ";" as the key to press to manually mark the end of a
    syllable.

    (My thinking on this was that whatever key I use should be readily and
    easily accessible on the keyboard layout. Semicolon seems easily
    accessible, and I was thinking that semicolon is probably not used
    very often in Korean text. If one does want to insert a semicolon,
    one can still do that of course - for example, in the worst case, just
    type a space character and then type the semicolon.)

    But I am still thinking of implementing the automatic way of "pulling
    out" a previous terminating consonant to become the initial consonant
    of a new hangul as Curtis Clark has described it and as is apparently
    common in Korean IMEs.

    So if I do implement that too, then in theory I'll have the best of
    both worlds: Manual way of ending a syllable (where ";" is converted
    to HANGUL FILLER) and still have the automated way to allow faster
    typing in the general cases.

    Well, that's the theory anyway ... any comments?

    - Ed