Re: Aramaic speech and script

From: Aviah Morag - TransLink (aviah@translinkpro.com)
Date: Thu Jan 21 2010 - 04:42:56 CST

    It's been said that Aramaic is "halfway between Arabic and Hebrew," and
    there's a lot of truth to that. The similarity between Arabic and Aramaic
    seems to have led to the latter's decline in Arab countries; the similarity
    between Hebrew and Aramaic seems to have done the same thing in Israel.

    The Aramaic script is of course quite similar to Hebrew - but that's just
    because the former gave rise to the latter.

    Aviah

    On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 11:43 AM, Michael Everson <everson@evertype.com>wrote:

    > On 21 Jan 2010, at 09:16, Raymond Mercier wrote:
    >
    > Apparently there were objections because the script they were using too
    >> much resembled Hebrew...
    >>

    > Sounded to me as though they wanted to restore the earlier script.
    > Fortunately it has now been encoded (Imperial Aramaic).
    >

    > Now I seem to remember a long rather dispute here about just that. There
    >> is also a short recitation of a prayer in Aramaic.
    >>

    > The unfortunate dispute previously was about Phoenician. Fortunately,
    > linguistics won out, and the script was encoded.

    Aviah Morag, TransLink
    aviah@translinkpro.com
    http://www.translinkpro.com
    Skype: translinkpro