Re: Why not just change the glyph of 20A8 RUPEE SIGN?

From: Mahesh T. Pai (paivakil@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Jul 28 2010 - 05:33:12 CDT

    Shriramana Sharma said on Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 02:52:46PM +0530,:

    > This is a somewhat late mail and please forgive me if this question
    > has already been asked but there are too many hits for 20A8 Rupee
    > when searching through the lists. Isn't it possible to just change
    > the glyph of 20A8? To my knowledge, few people actually use 20A8 to
    > display the existing representative glyph.

    This was asked earlier (including me). And was answered.

    > The Rupee sign is what it is -- the sign of India's currency. The

    There is a serious misunderstanding there. At least six other
    countries have named their currency "Rupee:.

    > character 20A8 encodes that sign. If the Indian Govt decides to

    Yes and nw. That character should display as "R s" in a font without
    that glyph. And a country may not want to use the Indian symbol in
    place of that sign.

    And AFAIK, none of Indian fonts (as available on GNU/Linux) distros
    have that symbol. And None of Indian Locales as available on most
    linux distros use that symbol - they use the INR or plain Rs. (I may
    be wrong here - feel free to thwack me if I am actually wrong).

    > change the glyph (in fact it is only now *deciding* on a glyph) then
    > the same character should be maintained with only the glyph changed,

    It certainly not a glyph change. I would have agreed with you 3 weeks
    back, but not now.

    --
    Mahesh T. Pai   ||  http://[paivakil|fizzard].blogspot.com
    A closed mouth gathers no feet.