Why not just change the glyph of 20A8 RUPEE SIGN?

From: Shriramana Sharma (samjnaa@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Jul 28 2010 - 04:22:46 CDT

    This is a somewhat late mail and please forgive me if this question has
    already been asked but there are too many hits for 20A8 Rupee when
    searching through the lists. Isn't it possible to just change the glyph
    of 20A8? To my knowledge, few people actually use 20A8 to display the
    existing representative glyph.

    The Rupee sign is what it is -- the sign of India's currency. The
    character 20A8 encodes that sign. If the Indian Govt decides to change
    the glyph (in fact it is only now *deciding* on a glyph) then the same
    character should be maintained with only the glyph changed, no?

    --
    Shriramana Sharma