Re: Why not just change the glyph of 20A8 RUPEE SIGN?

From: Neil Harris (neil@tonal.clara.co.uk)
Date: Wed Jul 28 2010 - 05:48:40 CDT

    On 28/07/10 10:22, Shriramana Sharma wrote:
    > This is a somewhat late mail and please forgive me if this question
    > has already been asked but there are too many hits for 20A8 Rupee when
    > searching through the lists. Isn't it possible to just change the
    > glyph of 20A8? To my knowledge, few people actually use 20A8 to
    > display the existing representative glyph.
    >
    > The Rupee sign is what it is -- the sign of India's currency. The
    > character 20A8 encodes that sign. If the Indian Govt decides to change
    > the glyph (in fact it is only now *deciding* on a glyph) then the same
    > character should be maintained with only the glyph changed, no?

    Unfortunately, that would have undesirable side effects, since there's
    more than one currency called the "rupee", and presumably some
    significant number of documents using that symbol: changing the generic
    rupee sign to look like the Indian rupee sign would make them all
    appear, misleadingly, to refer to the Indian rupee.

    There's also the issue of canonical decomposition: the "₨" sign clearly
    looks like LATIN CAPITAL LETTER R, LATIN SMALL LETTER S -- the Indian
    rupee sign does not like anything of the sort.

    -- Neil