Re: Pashto yeh characters

From: Andreas Prilop (prilop4321@trashmail.net)
Date: Wed Jul 28 2010 - 10:05:53 CDT

    On Tue, 27 Jul 2010, David Starner wrote:

    > what I mean was that MacArabic, Windows-1256 and ISO-8859-6
    > are designed to write the Arabic language.

    They are older than Unicode. It could have been possible in the
    beginning of Unicode to define U+0649 to have initial and medial
    glyphs with dots, i.e. to be the character that now is U+06CC.

    Please note that fonts in MacArabic, MacFarsi, ISO-8859-6
    and fonts from Windows XP have only isolated and final glyphs
    for U+0649. This is of course an Arabic letter.

    > If U+0649 is in these character sets, to say that it's really
    > a Uighur character

    In my view, U+0649 is made an Uighur letter by defining inital
    and medial glyphs to have no dots.