Re: Pashto yeh characters

From: Khaled Hosny (khaledhosny@eglug.org)
Date: Wed Jul 28 2010 - 10:07:44 CDT

    On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 04:33:12PM +0200, Andreas Prilop wrote:
    > On Tue, 27 Jul 2010, Khaled Hosny wrote:
    >
    > > it just happen not to get in those two positions
    > > in modern orthography, but it can be seen in Quran
    > > which is still written in the old, early Islamic orthography.
    >
    > If you argue with archaic spelling, then ð and þ are English letters.

    Except we are talking about a letter that is still in contemporary use,
    just not occurring at certain positions of the word.

    > | http://www.unicode.org/mail-arch/unicode-ml/y2010-m07/att-0295/01-U_0649.jpg
    > | http://www.unicode.org/mail-arch/unicode-ml/y2010-m07/att-0295/01-U_0649.jpg
    >
    > According to "Grammatik des klassischen Arabisch" by Wolfdietrich Fischer,
    > page 9, the "ya" is written two dots in such cases, too.

    Except that this is not a Yaa and not pronounced like a Yaa, it is an
    Alef (note the small dagger Alef above it).

    > I doubt such questions can be solved with reference to the Quran,
    > which originally had no dots at all.

    Those are two scans from contemporary prints of Quran, where regular Yaa
    have dots.

    Just because Uyghur is still following the old orthography of placing
    Alef Maqsura in the middle of the word, doesn't suddenly make it a "no
    Arabic" character.

    Regards,
     Khaled

    --