Re: Indian Rupee Sign (U+20B9) proposal

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Thu Jul 29 2010 - 02:53:00 CDT

    On 29 Jul 2010, at 04:43, Tulasi wrote:

    >> It is good that M. Everson's proposal and Govt. of India proposal are converging.
    >
    > No its not good!

    I'm so sorry to disappoint you.

    > M. Everson's proposal be withdrawn, he rushed hastily.

    No, I didn't.

    > His font design is out of his mind, not from the drawing.

    That's because my font design takes a Times-like Latin R as the basis for the design.

    Yes, indeed I did. And this is just what we do for the EURO SIGN (a C with bars), the YEN SIGN (a Y with bars) and so on. See http://www.evertype.com/standards/euro/euroglyph.html for example.

    > This is not what it is in the drawing or JPG image.

    That's because what THEY did was to take an Arial-like Latin R as the basis for the design.

    > Enlarge both in PDF, see yourself before encouraging. ISO technical committee shall place it on "Currency block" only to keep stuff uniform.

    No. We will put it in the "Currency Symbols" block because the character does not belong to either the Devanagari or the Latin script. Please note that all of the referene glyphs

    > You may not like my critic ->

    Since you ask, I (for my part) do not like an attitude of wilfully antagonistic hostility, particularly when it is pointless.

    > I do not see any Unicode role on India Rupee symbol :)

    It doesn't really matter. Though the Government of India have put forward a proposal.

    > ISO will approve it anyway.

    You'd better hope so.

    Have a nice day,