Re: Indian new rupee sign

From: William_J_G Overington (wjgo_10009@btinternet.com)
Date: Sat Jul 31 2010 - 02:54:00 CDT

    On Friday 30 July 2010, John H. Jenkins <jenkins@apple.com> wrote:

    > Obviously this is an important new symbol, and I'm sure
    > that WG2 and the UTC will make every effort to encode it as
    > expeditiously as possible.  As for exactly how long it
    > will take, neither WG2 nor the UTC has even *met* since this
    > hit the news.

    I wonder how long all of the balloting will take and how long will be idle time between ballots and meetings. Are there constitutional procedures such as "extraordinary meeting" and "urgent question" that could get the encoding done faster? Could an extraordinary meeting for the one symbol be held over the internet using a teleconferencing system?

    > While it's exciting to have the new
    > symbol, and while one does want to strike while the iron is
    > hot, ten years from now it won't have made much difference
    > whether it was encoded in 2010 or 2011--unless the job got
    > botched through over-haste.

    Well, if people want to start making desktop published posters for shops, and producing catalogues and so on using the new symbol after it is introduced and before Unicode 6.1 is published, then it appears that the correct procedure would be to define a codepoint in the Private Use Area in the meantime so that fonts could be produced and documents saved to disc. That could result in an accumulation of legacy data with a dual regular Unicode and Private Use Area encoding going into the future. So whether the symbol is encoded in 2010 or 2011 or later could make a difference even some years later.

    > Festina lente.

    I found that this is Latin for "make haste slowly".

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Festina_lente

    > Festina lente.

    Yet do make haste!

    The Romans did not have the internet! Modern needs need modern action.

    William Overington