Re: Indian new rupee sign

From: Andrew West (andrewcwest@gmail.com)
Date: Sat Jul 31 2010 - 05:07:53 CDT

    On 31 July 2010 08:54, William_J_G Overington <wjgo_10009@btinternet.com> wrote:

    > I wonder how long all of the balloting will take and how long will be idle time between ballots and meetings.

    The standardization process and balloting regulations that govern
    ISO/IEC 10646 are set out in Part 1 of the ISO/IEC Directives
    <http://isotc.iso.org/livelink/livelink?func=ll&objId=4230455&objAction=browse&sort=subtype

    together with the ISO/IEC JTC1 Supplement

    <http://isotc.iso.org/livelink/livelink/open/jtc1supplement>

    If you read these documents carefully you should be able to get a good
    understanding of the rigorous processes involved in producing an
    international standard.

    I give a slightly more accessible summary of the processes involved in
    producing the Unicode and 10646 standards at
    <http://babelstone.blogspot.com/2007/06/unicode-and-isoiec-10646.html>
    -- read especially the section entitled "The Ballot Process" (note
    that the balloting process followed by JTC1 is currently being
    changed, which will result in a somewhat longer ballot period, and
    consequently a longer "idle" period between meetings ... of course the
    "idle" period is anything but idle for those involved in character
    encoding proposals).

    > Are there constitutional procedures such as "extraordinary meeting" and "urgent question" that could get the encoding done faster?

    No. I cannot speak for Unicode, but international standards are
    produced according to rigorous and inflexible procedures which are
    necessary to assure the high quality and reputation of standards
    produced by ISO. Holding an extraordinary meeting (either physical or
    virtual) would not expedite the matter as the due balloting process
    still needs to be followed. In any case such a (hypothetical) meeting
    could not be arranged before the next scheduled meeting for WG2 in
    October.

    >Could an extraordinary meeting for the one symbol be held over the internet using a teleconferencing system?

    I don't think so.

    > So whether the symbol is encoded in 2010 or 2011 or later could make a difference even some years later.

    Well, it won't be encoded until late 2011 at the earliest, and people
    will just have to live with that.

    > Yet do make haste!

    If you don't like Latin, how about "More haste, less speed!"

    Andrew