Re: Pupil's question about Burmese

From: Ngwe Tun (ngwestar@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Nov 09 2010 - 04:05:06 CST

    Dear Peter Constable,
    *
    Burmese_is_supported in windows.*

    It makes worse than ever to create another story like pseudo-unicode like
    Zawgyi in Windows. too.

    We are in dead-lock because without releasing Myanmar Opentype specifiction
    for burmese by Microsoft. We can't implement burmese in opentype adopted
    rendering engine like pango and harfbuzz.

    We are not satisify just typing burmese text and printing burmese text. We
    want to have effective use of unicode data in burmese language processing
    like spelling check, machine translation and OCR.

    So, Do we need system locale for Burmese? How about CultureInfo for
    Microsoft .Net Framework.

    I've encouraged to use Unicode standards among Myanmar Users. Myanmar Users
    willing to use unicode standards in their works, personal and every
    application. But there are no advantages in using Unicode Standards and CLDR
    too. If Unicode.org make standards and do not apply those standards in
    software and systems, how can we trust those standards. Myanmar Users do not
    wait on Microsoft, Apple, Oracle implementation. They are going wrong or
    breakthrough solution.

    Again. I have to say caution about ethnics language. We should take care
    about Mon, Shan and Karen Language which is encoded in Unicode 5.1 But
    Microsoft didn't assign yet for those language in Windows 7

    I'm trying to get Burmese Language Pack in Microsoft Windows .since 2002. I
    gave up and no more try to get it. Microsoft not waiting stable Standards,
    Politics and/or Technical. I don't not any of reason for delaying our
    beloved language.

    Thanks for reading it and support for 40 million speaking language. We did
    petition to Microsoft at http://petition.myanmarlanguage.org/

    http://my.wiktionary.org is the good dictionary site. It is started but not
    yet finisned.

    Best