Re: On the possibility of encoding some localizable sentences in plane 7 (from Re: On the possibility of encoding webdings in Unicode)

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Fri Jan 28 2011 - 12:51:43 CST

    On 1/28/2011 7:06 AM, William_J_G Overington wrote:
    > It could be a great project for the Unicode community with input from
    > many people in order to produce a magnificent system that could be of
    > great use.

    Well, from reading the replies, I get a sense that the Unicode community
    is saying "no, thank you.!" to this generous offer of doing additional
    work. Everybody has said it a bit differently, but it comes down to the
    same thing in the end.

    I think this is not least because the community is already working on
    magnificent system of its own that not only *could* be of great use, but
    already *is* of great use, and which takes dedicated effort to maintain
    and nurture. In case there's any doubt, I am referring of course to the
    core Unicode standard of encoding *characters* and not *sentences* and
    all its many ancillary specifications for which there are large,
    established user communities already.

    In other words, the time to come here with great proposals is when you
    have demonstrated not merely its potential, but actual utility, and when
    you have found a community willing to embrace and support it.

    In the meantime, I've filed "localizable sentences in plane 7" right
    next to "solar system held together by electric fields".

    A./