Re: Three modest proposals

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Wed Apr 06 2011 - 17:24:22 CDT

    On 6 Apr 2011, at 23:03, Karl Pentzlin wrote:

    > There are "tarot" cards which *are* playing cards, used for games like "Tarot" in France, "tarocco" in Italy, and "Tarock" in Austria.

    True, and those use Cups, Wands/Staves, Pentacles/Coins, and Swords.

    > Other well-known subsets and variants are the American Poker cards (lacking the 22 trumps and the knights, adding 2 Jokers), the Rommé cards (also lacking the trumps, adding 3 jokers with different design and/or symbolism), or the German Skat cards (lacking the 22 trumps, the knights [or the queens in regional variants instead], and all number cards from 2 to 6).

    What's been argued is that Hearts, Clubs, Diamonds, Spades have changed so much from the Cups etc that they should be disunified. I can live with that. I am not sure what the best way to handle the Acorns and Bells and Roses and Shields, since these are also "daughters" of the original Tarot cards.