RE: Quick survey of Apple symbol fonts (in context of the Wingding/Webding proposal)

From: Peter Constable <petercon_at_microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 01:15:01 +0000

From: unicode-bounce_at_unicode.org [mailto:unicode-bounce_at_unicode.org] On Behalf Of Karl Pentzlin
Sent: Friday, July 15, 2011 9:46 AM

>AW> I oppose encoding graphic clones of non-graphic characters ...
>
> I am just waiting for the killer argument against the encoding of chart symbols.

For me the killer argument is that the large costs that would be incurred by committees and implementers of the standards are nowhere near made up for in real-use need. Just because _some_ characters that give visual presentation for otherwise invisible entities have been encoded does not at all imply that character should be encoded in every such case. These are not needed for common data interchange; the need to display such presentations is limited only to production of the standards and perhaps in certain special-use software user interfaces. IMO, those can be left as exceptions. In contrast, nobody -- not even in the context of this discussion list -- needs to be able (e.g.) to send an email that contains in plain text a character that depicts in a visible manner a character like NBSP or CGJ.

Peter