Re: Too narrowly defined: DIVISION SIGN & COLON

From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 05:13:06 +0200

Thanks for this addon, may be Forefox includes the callbacks in its
renderer to allow tracking this info. Still Chrome does not allow this
(this is hidden in the OpenType support library, which is also
OS-dependant ; there's no standard DOM extension to inspect the
rendering of a single text-element).

I've also asked to Chrome/Chromium developers to add an ainterface to
inspect the contents of any plain-text string. I.e. enumerating the
characters encoded in any string value, code point by code point (or
may be only by 16-bit code unit, as this is the way Strings are
perceived in Javascript) directly from the DOM inspector interface,
including for all DOM and CSS properties, or in javascript text
sources, or in the debugging console (such extension should not
require any modification of the tricky text rendering OpenType support
functions, it's just an addition to the UI layer of this debugging
console). As these are internally exposed as "String" objects, the
methods in the String class are usable for this.