Re: Claims of Conformance (was: Re: CLDR and ICU)

From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 03:30:41 +0200

You may still use the terms "Universal Character Set". However, claims
of conformance is declarative. It may have unexpected bugs soemwhere
in which cas the claim should come with either a disclaimer of
warranty, or with a reliable contact address for the support to have
these conformance bugs corrected or more reliably detected and avoided
possibly with discussed workarounds.

But as long as the conformance is not proven false, such a use of the
expression "conforms to the Unicode standard" along with the
disclaimer of warranty or with the support offer with limted liability
of the author or distributor should be OK. However for references to
the character encodings, it will still be better to use the registered
encoding abbreviations of the supported UTF's. Conformane to a
standard UTF does not mean full conformance with everything in TUS.

For example I can still see many fonts that claim to be made for
Unicode, or in Unicode version. They are not more conformant than many
fonts that do not claim it, only because they support only a smaller
subset of the UCS. There does not exist any font that fully supports
every characters assigned in the Unicode/ISO/IEC 10646 standards, but
stil there are claims in the used font names (without clarifications).
In my opinoon all those claims are false, simply because there's no
conformance rules defined in TUS for fonts (almost everything in those
claims is not found in fonts thelselves, but in rendering engines,
wich are parsing the text and trying to map glyph using the separate
specifications of the supported font formats).