Re: CLDR and ICU

From: Steven R. Loomis <srl_at_icu-project.org>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 22:52:54 -0700

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 6:19 PM, Richard Wordingham <
richard.wordingham_at_ntlworld.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 17:01:53 -0700
> "Steven R. Loomis" <srl_at_icu-project.org> wrote:
>
> > May I ask if you have a specific example in mind? Is the U in ICU
> > misleading somehow, or CLDR recommending a policy for plain text?
>
> I had no examples of untrue or misleading statements about Unicode
> standards and ICU in mind.
>
> I believe the plain text example was hyperbole. There is an issue
> resulting from the use of non-characters in CLDR root collation, and as
> you seem unaware of it, I have raised the matter as
> http://unicode.org/cldr/trac/ticket/5115 . I fear there may be a
> practical reason for the forbidden behaviour, so fixing the issue may
> well end up being deferred to allow CLDR users time to improve their
> compliance with the LDML specification.

I was totally unaware of it. Thanks for being specific!

I suspect it was simply an oversight and not indicative of any systemic
issue. UTS#35 gives the example of <cp hex="0"> for representing NULL as
an example of a character not to be used in XML. Note that there's nothing
wrong with processing non-characters in memory- I have to deal with
non-characters all the time. Thanks for filing the bug.

Regards,
Steven