Re: Mayan numerals

From: Jameson Quinn <jameson.quinn_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 06:49:39 -0600

Thank you, Marion.

> To strengthen his hand, Mr Quinn might be well advised to ask his own
> National Body for accreditation as an ISO representative for himself and
> some friends, so as to participate directly, as an interest group, through
> normal ISO channels (I recommend this because decisions taken in re ISO
> 10646 by a majority vote of participating countries must become part of
> Unicode). If his country does not already have National Body participation
> in ISO, this is not such a great difficulty, as that should be easy to
> arrange, especially with its own national interest at stake.

Actually, as a US citizen who's spent the last 10 years residing in the
Mayan area (Chiapas and Guatemala), I doubt I'd be an appropriate choice as
a Guatemalan representative. But I have already written to Lolmay Garcia,
the Kaqchikel linguistic community representative on the ALMG, who, as a
technically-inclined Mayan linguist, would be an appropriate choice. I also
have contacts in the Ministry of Culture, a couple of Mayan-oriented
publishing houses (Chol Samaj and Prodessa), and the local free software
movement.

(In Chiapas, my contacts are more with the Zapatistas, who might be
interested in these issues but will not be getting ISO representation any
day soon. I have no contacts with the Mayan communities in the Yucatan
peninsula, Belize, or Honduras.)

> I hope this helps,

Yes, greatly.

Jameson