Re: Greek astrology

From: Asmus Freytag <asmusf_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 13:58:10 -0700

On 10/29/2012 12:48 PM, Szelp, A. Sz. wrote:
> These look as if they were actually ligatures.

(typo)graphically a number of forms may be "ligatures".

For text encoding, it would be important to understand whether such
fused forms are used interchangeable with forms that are not fused - and
in particular, whether in all instances these should sort like the
alphabetic sequence they were derived from as well as whether they
should show up interchangeably in search results.

If the answer to the latter two questions is negative, that would make a
strong case for separately encoding the fused form. However, the answer
may be positive for search and sort, but there may still not be
interchangeable usage (sort and search, after all, conflate some other
strings as well).

Treating a fused form as "ligature" in terms of encoding works best when
the choice of ligation is either purely stylistic, or, alternatively, is
driven by word context (as certain "mandatory" ligatures are).

Whenever the use of a fused form carries a particular significance, then
leaving the choice of display to the font seems poor design, even if
there's a strong correlation between the fused form and the original string.

> Without knowing the greek words for the "principal" corners, I'd read
> them as a rho-omega-kappa, a pi-upsilon, an alpha
> (delta?)-upsilon-nu-omega and a rho-mu ligature. I wouldn't be
> surprised, if these letters were abbreviations for some expanded terms
> for the four principal corners.

This may or may not matter, see above.

A./