Re: Greek astrology

From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 00:29:01 +0100

You've got a good point that these are not simple esthetic ligatures.
If they represent more than the combined letters used to note an
abbreviation, then why not encoding in test the implied (but missing)
letters, surrounded by some format controls stating that the
srurrounded letters are actually not drawn but just implied, with a
possible ambiguity of their exact interpretation) ?

So the ligature mu-rho for "mesu-ranima" would be encoded like this in
plain-text only:
<mu, BEGIN IMPLIED TEXT, epsilon, sigma, upsilon, END IMPLIED TEXT,
rho, BEGIN IMPLIED TEXT, alpha, nu, iota, mu, alpha, END IMPLIED TEXT>

If you has to represent this in a rich text (visual only) format like
HTML, this could still be represented using <span
style="display:none">...</span>, preserving the semantic (instead of a
style attribute, you could as well define a class, or you could have
your own document-specic element to represent the implied element).

Contextual rule-based substitution of these strings by an actual glyph
for rendering the "ligature" as it appears in the original document,
would still remain possible (with a set of rules stored in the
document, and defined by the authoring creator of the encoded
document).

This does not mean that the ligature has to be encoded for itself,
unless it starts being commonly found in multiple documents from
multiple authors, with a consistant meaning. If the meaning is
inconsistant and requires an expertise to guess what it means in such
a way that other interpretations are possible, I think it's still best
to indicate in the document itself what is the guessed part, that
could be objectioned if the same source was read by someone else.

As well the glyphic style of the ligature may be author specific,
using more or less component letters, disposed differently in the
ligature, with more or less strokes and simplifications, even if all
these variants mean the same.

I'm convinced that it's better if every document creator can convey
the meaning of what **he** was reading in his encoded document, the
best as he can, even if this is **his** personal interpretation or
guess, than just inserting an uninterpreted symbol or punctuation
mark, like in "mu-rho" where the hyphen mark actually does not encode
properly that it represents a personnal substitution rather than the
punctuation itself (causing even more ambiguities for the
reinterpretation of the result.