Re: Missing geometric shapes

From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2012 00:40:27 +0100

2012/11/7 Jean-François Colson <jf_at_colson.eu>:
> You missed
> NEGLECTABLE RATING +
>
> NO RATING

For this one, would it be a greyed star (meaning no info, N/A) or the
existing WHITE STAR for the minimum rating (the maximum rating being
the BLACK STAR) ?

Usually, we see the high ratings displayed as multiple stars, that are
either present or absent, but rarely half filled.

Another common notation use filled pie slices in empty circles/filled
disks, or half-circles/disks, or on clocks (most often to note
completion levels). Some Wikimedia projects use a 2×2 square grid
pattern (with additional colors : 0=grey, 25%=gray grid+1 black
square, 50%=2 red squares, 75%=3 blue squares, 100%=4 green squares).

Some will use various forms to fill gauges or are displaying a slider
button or horizontal bars stacked on top of each other (usually also
for completion levels or to display the activity), or device rotating
on the half-circle gauge (like speed-meters in cars, usually to
display performance levels), or a Hg-thermometer shown vertically (not
always graduated)...

There's a lot of creativity for these gauges, and various scales used.
How many symbols would you need then ? For me all these scaling gauges
are not character simply because it's impossible to determine what
value they represent individually. They are graphic tools that are
eye-catching and beautif.

If we continue like this, some will want to represent bar diagrams
(also with their graduation scales and axisà using plain-text
characters only... Why not just writing the numeric figures and leave
the gauge being displayed in graphic renderers ?