Re: Missing geometric shapes

From: Asmus Freytag <asmusf_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2012 16:22:09 -0800

On 11/8/2012 3:40 PM, Philippe Verdy wrote:
> Usually, we see the high ratings displayed as multiple stars, that are
> either present or absent, but rarely half filled.

Half filled stars are relatively common, whenever there are fractional
star ratings possible.

Stars are among the most common sets of symbols used for this kind of
rating by "repetetive" symbols.

That there are many other ways to do rankings is besides the point.
Stars (and half stars) are known to be in use (and can presumably be
documented by whoever makes a proposal). That's enough to go on in
deciding on encoding *those symbols*.

That some people use VULGAR FRACTION ONE HALF together with stars, or a
plus sign or some other method is also besides the point. Unicode
provides the symbols that allow people to write what they need to write,
not what they "ought" to use.

A./